I love eggplants and I love Italian food. So it is obvious that I should love eggplant parmesan. Although I am not completely Paleo, I do try to avoid grains as much as possible. I am not gluten intolerant but wheat kicks my butt and makes me really lethargic for days to come. So this recipe gives me the satisfaction without the lethargy. Try it. And it is pretty to boot! I made it in a 80z wide mouthed mason jar. It will be great to serve for a dinner party.
- Sliced Eggplants: 1/2 large or 1 medium
- Red onion: 1/4 cup chopped
- Garlic: 2 cloves (optional, I love garlic in everything)
- Fresh basil (or dry but fresh is always better, easy to grow even indoors)
- Pasta sauce (from the jar, I like Newman’s own) or make your own – super easy recipe to follow (tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar, garlic): 1/2 jar
- Fresh Mozzarella cheese, sliced: 2 oz
- Olive oil: 1 tsp
- Parmesan cheese (optional) 2 tbsp
- Preheat oven to 425
- Heat oil in a pan
- Stir fry onion (and garlic if you like)
- When onion turns fragrant, add the eggplants and stir fry. (Another option is to broil the eggplant slices)
- When eggplant slices tender, add salt and pepper to taste, mix and take it off the stovetop
- In a baking pan (I used a 8oz widemouthed mason jar for one serving), pour the pasta sauce, layer the eggplants slices/onions, sprinkle fresh basil, layer cheese slices. Sprinkle parmesan cheese
- Bake for about twenty minutes. I put the mason jar on top of a cookie sheet.
- Take it off the oven when the cheese is bubbling.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and serve hot.
- With a side of salad, makes for a terrific dinner.
PS: I also like the no-bake eggplant parmesan, in which I layer broiled eggplant slices with mozzarella, and fresh tomato slices and dig in! A great summer treat!