An excellent no-grain, gluten free, vegetarian meal. Hot or cold, your choice. Tonight I served it warm since it was a cool evening.
- Beets: 2 Medium size
- Olive oil: 1/2 tbs
- Salt: To taste
- Pepper: to taste
- Thyme (I used orange thyme from my garden) but you can use whatever herb you like: 2 sprigs
- Green lentils: 1/2 cup
- Red onion: 1/4 large
- Tomatoes: 1
- Celery (if you like): 1 stalk trimmed and minced
- Pimento stuffed olives: 5, chopped
- Sliced Radish (if you like, Viyan and I love radish): half cup
- Feta cheese (or goat cheese): 2 tbsp; optional, omit if you want to go vegan.
- Lettuce leaves (I use Bibb or butter lettuce for these because I had them in my garden, but I am sure romaine will be great too)
- Olive oil: 1 tbs
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Pepper: 1 tsp
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Red wine or raspberry vinegar: 2 tbs
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Peel and cut beets into cubes
- On a cookie sheet, toss the beets with olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme and spread them in a single layer
- Roast in oven for 30 to 40 minutes
- In the meanwhile, cook the lentils al dente according to package instructions. Like always, I use the pressure cooker. Rinse and keep ready.
- Mix beets, lentils, and all the chopped vegetables.
- Mix the salad dressing
- Toss to coat
- Serve with lettuce wraps on the side or scoop and serve in lettuce wraps.